Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Reflections

We spent today in Kamakura area. We saw many lovely things but I was also reminded up the terrible suffering that occurred during the tsunami. This area was not directly hit but as I looked at beach garbage it reminded me of the tsunami debris that is washing up in other areas. My heart goes out to all affected.





We also came across this little stranded starfish. It reminded me of one of my favorite guiding poems;
IT MATTERS TO THIS ONE

As I walked along the seashore, this young boy greeted me. He was tossing stranded starfish back to the deep blue sea. I said, "Tell me why you bother, why you waste your time this way. There's a million stranded starfish, does it matter anyway?"

And he said, "It matters to this one. It deserves a chance to grow. It matters to this one, I can't save them all I know. But it matters to this one, I'll return it to the sea. It matters to this one, and it matters to me."

I walked into the classroom, The teacher greeted me. She was helping Johnny study, he was struggling I could see. I said, "Tell me why you bother, why waste your time this way. Johnny's only one of millions, does it matter anyway?"

And she said, "It matters to this one, he deserves a chance to grow. It matters to this one, I can't save them all I know. But it matters to this one, I'll help him be what he can be. It matters to this one, and it matters to me."
- author unknown

I am grateful I had the opportunity to put him back into the sea.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: